Application Deadline: 08/10/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract: TA local
Post Level: GS-5
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 months with possibility for extension
In order to apply please follow the link: https://rabota.ua/redirect?event_name=url_click&redir_token=eyJPcmlnaW5hbFVybCI6Imh0dHBzOi8vam9icy5wYXJ0bmVyYWdlbmNpZXMubmV0L2VyZWNydWl0am9icy5odG1sP0pvYk9wZW5pbmdJZD0zOTk0NSZhbXA7SFJTX0pPX1BTVF9TRVE9MSZhbXA7aHJzX3NpdGVfaWQ9MiIsIlZhY2FuY3lJZCI6ODgzODU2NX0=
UNOCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. UNOCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of Field Coordination Officer at respective duty station, the Field Assistant works in support of and in close collaboration with all OCHA Kyiv and field office staff based in Ukraine, to support effective and efficient functioning of the field office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures and organization of office information flow.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Assist in administrative tasks as required such as preparation of reports and meeting authorized personnel and assisting them during field missions;
- Act as interpreter in the exchange of routine information, contribute to related liaison activities and respond directly to routine queries;
- Collect data and other information relevant to OCHA and report to the supervisor accordingly;
- Keep regular contacts with local authorities, humanitarian partners as requested by supervisor;
- In coordination with humanitarian partners, assist in the reception, provision of assistance in the areas of information and coordination management;
- Support to the effective and efficient functioning of the OCHA field office;
- Provision of travel services;
- Secretarial support functions;
- Translation of basic communication English/Russian, Russian/English, English/Ukrainian and Ukrainian/English;
- Undertake other relevant duties as required.
Supports effective and efficient functioning of the OCHA field office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Telephone and reception functions;
- Maintenance of contact lists;
- Efficient and discreet management of staff schedules;
- Organization of regular and ad-hoc meetings; organization of venue, sending out invitation and agenda, sending out of minutes, reception of guests, etc.;
- Screening of all incoming communications, filter outgoing correspondence for supervisor’s signature, clearance and further action by other staff, wherever possible;
- Adherence to appropriate protocol and correspondence guidelines when communicating with government and other external partners;
- Participation in initiatives with the objective to improve inter-agency team work and the promotion of a culture of caring (for example staff council).
Provision of travel services:
- Provision of information to the staff on travel including travel route and hotel arrangement;
- Processing travel authorization in line with travel entitlements for staff, consultants, UN and visitors, ensuring that the travel arrangement follow the UN rules of most direct route and most competitive prices;
- Arrangements for security clearance when required;
- Hotel reservations for visiting OCHA officials.
Administrative/field support functions focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Set up and maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Opening of new subject files as required and disposal of old files in accordance with the established retention schedule;
- Coordination of the information flow in the office and dissemination of corporate and interoffice communication to staff as required;
- Draft routine correspondence;
- Administration of travel, meetings, appointments and briefings of office staff;
- Supervise petty cash and staff human resource related issues;
- Assist in organizing inter-agency coordination meetings;
- Support in procurement as well as inventory of OCHA assets in accordance UN Rules and Regulations.
Ensures translation of basic communication English/Russian, Russian/English English/Ukrainian and Ukrainian/English focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Three way translation of incoming and outgoing correspondence (note verbales, letters);
- Translation of power point presentation/slides;
- Basic translation during meetings, when required.
Impact of Results: The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the OCHA field office. Accurate analysis and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the OCHA field office and promotes the image of the UN as an effective contributor to the development of the country. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
Core Competencies: Professionalism: applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position; possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks; strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning; demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments; Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed; Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings; Demonstrating integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards; Client Orientation: Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client. Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education;
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, Administration or other related field is desired but is not a requirement.
- 5 years (with secondary education) or 2 years (with Bachelor degree) of progressively responsible secretarial, administrative, programme support, office management or other related field experience is required;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) is required;
- Experience with web-based management systems (SAP/ERP) is considered as an advantage;
- Experience in the UN system is an advantage;
- Sound knowledge and familiarity with the humanitarian and overall social, legal, security and economic context in Luhansk region, non-government-controlled area is desirable;
- Profound field experience in the region is desirable.
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian.